Sunday, February 27, 2011
Saturday, February 26, 2011
MUSHROOM AND BACON RISOTTO
loosely adapted from Myrecipes.com
2 cups water
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
3 slices of bacon
1/2 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp butter
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Bring water and broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Keep warm over low heat.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute mushrooms until tender. Remove mushrooms, set aside.
3. Fry bacon in a large frying pan. Add onion and saute until translucent.
4. Add rice to the pan. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
5. Add broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in mushrooms, grated cheese, and remaining ingredients.
Thursday, February 3, 2011
adapted from Cooking Light magazine
4 turkey bacon slices
1 tub of mirepoix (I used one from Trader Joe's, but you could chop about 1 cup each of diced onions, celery, and carrots)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans chopped clams, undrained
3 cups diced potatoes
1 bottle clam juice
1 bay leaf
3 cups fat-free milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1. Dice bacon. Cook bacon in a large pan until crisp. Remove about 1 tablespoon for topping, set aside.
2. Add mirepoix, salt, thyme, pepper, paprika, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Add clam liquid, potatoes, clam juice, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Discard bay leaf.
4. In a bowl, combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 12 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add clams; cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon.